'Social Media Optimisation' Panel Event Wrap-up
Thursday 23rd February 2012 11:12am
By Networx Brisbane
It was a fantastic, sold-out event, on 22 February 2012 at Central Eagle Street Conference Venue, Brisbane City. Our panel of speakers discussed 'Social Media Optimisation: Integrating social media and search strategy'.
Our panellists for the evening:
- Llew Jury, Managing Director, Reload Media, @reloada @reload_media
- Edmund Pelgen, Director of Search Engine Optimisation, Traffika @edmundpelgen @traffika
- Scott Esdaile, Digital Strategist, XCOM Media @scottesdaile @xcommedia
with Cat Matson, Business CATalyst @catmatson facillitating the discussion.
Here's a bit of an event wrap-up, via Twitter:Networx Brisbane
- Follow tomorrow's
#nxbris @reloada @scottesdaile @edmundpelgen @catmatson @central_group & fellow attendees here ow.ly/9bLO3 #nxbris SMO panel: @catmatson @edmundpelgen @scottesdaile @reloada pic.twitter.com/f2VAYsff #nxbris audience... Good looking bunch! pic.twitter.com/RdlUbs8L @ridefreemedia in action with the #nxbris video interviews w @catmatson @reloada pic.twitter.com/aoOiT6I2
Tweeps looking forward to the evening...Cat Matson
#nxbris guests: a funk jazz muso, an online mkting aficionado & gin connoisseur: @scottesdaile @edmundpelgen @reloada #lovemyjob
- Looking forward to speaking at this event tomorrow night! 'Social Media Optimisation' bit.ly/yBnRLN
- Going to my first networking event tonight
@networxevents little bit excited little bit nervous #nxbris
- Looking forward to
#NXBris tonight with @reloada @scottesdaile & @catmatson. Can't say I'm looking forward to @scottesdaile's jokes though.
And then we get into it...Alexandra Kerr
- "Anything you're doing online needs to integrate perfectly with what you're doing offline"
- Smeg = social media expert/guru
- Only google can impact on google organic rankings, not twitter or facebook.
- Would pinterest only be strong for visually attractive products? Thoughts...
#nxbris @scottesdaile's jokes are great, @nathbush! #nxbris
- "Lightweight interactions over time." - the key technique to social media success
- "Be interesting. Be relevant. Have insight"
@Scottesdaile talking about how to stand out on YouTube. #nxbris
- Neeeeeeever!! “
@PEllender: YouTube is cluttered by too many cats #NXBris”
- Take a problem offline....and then make sure you post back that the issue was resolved.
- "Put the Google + button on everything you do."
- Tips from
@edmundpelgen: "Get knowledgeable about Google +." #nxbris @Scottesdaile: "Go in, be nimble." @reloada:"Strategy!" #NXBris pic.twitter.com/X2ekemBT
- Social media and seo are both about ultimately converting the customer
- Only Googleplus is going to impact organic google rankings
- Are we loving pinterest? Hell yes!
- Is pinterest driving more traffic than all other social media? Stats are strong whilst it's in it's infancy, time will tell.
- "lightweight interactions over time". Makes sense, stay in it for the long haul, creative content for Ur target market
- Fantastic content and speakers tonight!!!
- Planning and preparation is paramount to a successful strategy for online social media
- Engage trolls in social media. A successfully recovered customer can be come Ur most loyal.
- Straddle and hedge Ur best across all platforms
- Strategy, strategy, strategy... And keep playing to keep up to date!
- me 2 !! RT
@eat247au: #nxbris loving it so far
- Panel discussion with
@catmatson @EdmundPelgen @Traffika @ScottEsdaile @XCOMmmedia @Reloada @Reload_Media #optimization #acronymcity #NXBris
- new acronym in
#acronymcity #SMEG Social Media Engagement Guru #NXBris
- the *ahhh moment when you understand the WHY to Google plus brand pages RT
@TaybianDesign: Is there a Google sunami coming? @Edmund #NXBris
- Why more women are signed up = 'Pinterest is like Scrapbooking for twitter'
- It is about engagement in SM not just fans and likes
- if negative comments or trolls advice is to
#playitcool for a bit and #dontfeedthetrolls plan your reactions and #whatifs in advance #NXBris
- Use an integrated Google plus button and key words to optimize search results for your brand
- You have to look at social media from a strategic perspective - not just a marketing outcome.
- Anything you're doing online needs to integrate with anything you're doing offline "in the real world".
- Googles not indexing Twitter or Facebook mentions
- Social, SEO ultimately have the same goal - to turn a prospect into a customer
- Social media impact on rankings and traffic
- People find e-commerce transactions through search more than social
- Will Facebook get into search and "reverse the search"?
- The key to success is to have lightweight interactions over a period of time.
- Immediate imperative is to understand Google +
- All media can be social media.
#nxbris Wrapping it up early in the night.
- Anything you do online needs to integrate with what your doing in the real world
- Take your complaints off line. Engage away from the spotlight. Companies need solutions before problems
- Equiverlates - is that the relationship between the equivalent that relates?
- The Google + tsunami is coming. Do you have your plus button?
- Don't just have a page or presence - It needs to be used, optimised and worked into everything.
- Facebook turning into Bingbook? It's that the only way forward for organic rankings? Maybe.
- It still comes down to one thing - know your target market!! If you don't know that you don't know how to even develop a strategy.
- is all media social media? It's getting that way, agreed for ads & promo activities
- google + has 90 million users. Holyyyy. Marketers take note it's the only social channel integrated into search results
- fyi if u hadn't already heard tweeps google + is going to start influencing ur search results
- starting to think i need to create a corporate pinterest of sexy cooking equipment...
- don't talk about yourself too much - corporate social media rules
- Ensure integration between offline and online marketing activities. Key point made by
- Is there a Google tsunami coming?? What are your thoughts?
- "Social and SEO have the same goal. Turning a prospect into a customer" - too true
@Edmundpelgen #nxbris #talkingintegration
- I'm seeing "pin it" social shares everywhere. I'm hoping one of the panelists will discuss Pinterest's role in the future of social
- How to handle a troll on social media.. Not sure I agree with Scott re play it cool.
#nxbris I say identify, investigate and address #nxbris how is Facebook going to take on Google+ ? Answer = Bing? A thought from @edmundpelgen
- How to stay ahead in Social/Search? 1. Get into Google + 2. Be nimble as marketers 3. Strategy. Do your market research.
#nxbris #NXBris Important to integrate online & offline activities. #socmedia can't exist in a silo #PR #marketing
@OgilvyPRAus: Pinterested? New blog post from @melanievaz http://bit.ly/AyqoMV Hot topic at last night's #NXBris #PR #nxbris We have been hearing for awhile that google+ will have a large impact on search, great to hear the experts confirm! #NXBris Google plus is not dead! Has great potential moving forward as part of search strategy #nxbris "the key to success in social media is to have lightweight interactions over time" #nxbris agrees with Llew, the key to social media is creative strategy. Evaluation -> discovery, then take it from there #nxbris important to set up Google plus now in the mindset of business ready for any potential Australian roll outs next 6-12 months
- Social isn‘t just a marketing opportunity. Integrate into strategic channels.
- Social Media "sells the product", Search allows us to "find the product". You need both in your strategy!
@edmundpelgen #NXBris @NetworxEvents I must say I'm not sold on Google+ however I don't want to miss the visibility in Google searches either.. #NoChoice #NXBris
- Pinterest 'Digital Crack for Women' http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/addicted-to-a-web-site-called-pinterest-digital-crack-for-women/2012/02/20/gIQAP3wAQR_story.html
#SoTrue watch this space attract more males with sports boards perhaps? #NXBris
- I need a Jeremy Lin! 91,000 subscribers in 3 days to FB page & 500% increase to Knicks page!
#LinSocial #linsanity #NXBris
- Pinterest is for bower birds - most suited to strong images. Great opportunity for new brand to get exposure.
- Don't start a fight, cool it on social media in crisis situations. Be prepared and don't act on 'the fly'
- Facebook brands can message individuals, who knew?
#nxbris #nxbris actively promote google + button on everything you do. #nxbris Facebook builds fans first, google + targets business first to bring their community across, vital to organic rankings #nxbris know your audience, be transparent, have a great strategy.
- Social Media/Search strategy TIP: Twitter & Facebook drive referral traffic, Google+ drives organic traffic
@edmundpelgen #NXBris #NXBris "Start with Google+ now. Get ur head around it" (before the G+ Tsunami hits Aus). Top tip from @edmundpelgen
The next day...reloada
@scottesdaile @LisaMa_ @catmatson @edmundpelgen great panel at #nxbris and should do it again soon...
#nxbris participants 45 Resources on Google Plus Search your world ow.ly/9et8l
@vivogroup: @edmundpelgen Bing Book comes to life http://ow.ly/9er0A #nxbris (nice find guys)
- Thanks! Hopefully you enjoyed the content too! RT
@kerr_alexandra: @scottesdaile's jokes are great, @nathbush! #nxbris
- Our collective rugged good looks? No? ;) RT
@Gibbled: #nxbris I wonder why experts are all men on the panel and the audience mostly women?
- I *heart* the
#NXBris interactions I'm seeing in my twitter stream right now. #loveyourwork @edmundpelgen @scottesdaile @reloada...
- Shout out to the awesome
#nxbris panel last nite: @catmatson @edmundpelgen @scottesdaile @reloada, you guys rock!
- Shout out to our great
#nxbris sponsors: @RideFreeMedia @lifeatlucid @vivogroup @reload_media @edibleblooms @central_group Fairchild, DPMA #NXBRIS TEASER VIDEO: @CatMatson invites you to our 'Building Brand Equity' event on 21 March! fb.me/1sVhxkguU
More about the event:
You can find out more about the event here: http://bit.ly/NX0212