Networking tips at Working the Room by Networx
Wednesday 1st March 2017 12:18pm
By Megan Walker, Director, Market Savvy
Megan Walker, Director of Brisbane marketing consultancy, Market Savvy specialises in marketing for the health industry and commercialisation for not for profits. Megan built her business primarily through networking. She is a trained speaker on the topic and believes in the value of “giving to get”. Networx Brisbane asked Megan to present at their Working the Room by Networx event held on 7th February 2017.
She walked attendees through networking tips when attending networking events followed by practice on the night… these are her fantastic tips:
The right head space
Before you arrive:
- What is your purpose for attending?
- Who do you want to meet and why?
- How will you add value to the people you meet?
A planned approach
- Talk to the people at the registration desk
- Tell them who you would like to meet and ask them to point you in the right direction
- Once you get to know the organisers you can ask for introductions
- Scan – look for people who are open
- Approach – walk up and say “hello how are you, do you mind if I join you?”
“I’m Megan …
[what’s your name?]”
Shake hands if hands are free
Oh no… what do I say next? Easy… just ask a question and LISTEN to the answer
- Where abouts are you from?
- And what do you do there?
- Which company are you with?
- What type of work do you do?
- Have you been to these events before?
- What’s been keeping you busy lately?
- I’m here to meet [XYZ], do you mind if I go and find them?
- I hope you have a great night and enjoy [XYZ – whatever they mentioned]. Look forward to seeing you again next time.
Moving on tips
- Thanks for the lovely chat, I actually need to find a [web developer] so I might see if I can find one if that’s Ok? Thanks for the chat and I hope you have a great night.
- It’s been lovely talking to you. I’m going to duck to the bathroom and get a drink before the session starts. I’ll see you later.
- I’ve just seen [XYZ] arrive and I need to see them about something. Lovely to meet you and I hope you enjoy the event.
- I’m going to keep working the room if that’s Ok?
- Who are you hoping to meet tonight and I’ll keep a look out for you?
- Drop the person an email within 72 hours and tell them you enjoyed meeting them. Offer to put them in touch with somebody you know (based on the information you gathered from your conversation with them). Could be a supplier, contact, potential recruit etc.
- Send an email and offer to expand on the conversation with a quick phone call. Mention how you can assist and add value (again based on your conversation).
Megan Walker facilitates Networx Brisbane events, to see her at other networking events, click here.
For photos from Working the Room by Networx on 7 February 2017, click here.