Networking tips for both REAL LIFE and the virtual world!
We all need to network – some of us prefer face-to-face over social media, others prefer linking up virtually. Either way, social media mimics real relationships. Here is your chance to brush up on your skills in both and make some new contacts (both real and virtual!) at the same time!
Come along for Lisa Butler, author of “Networking Exposed” who will help us mix and mingle over a drink, give us some good face-to-face networking etiquette tips, and help you make some real life contacts.
Follow that up with Darryl King from ireckon and Greg Lexiphanic who can make sure your Facebook etiquette and “tweetiquette” is up to scratch.
More event details
Event Photography by Clare Smith, Lucid Photography
- #Networx search results on Twitter - updates from attendees (mostly live!)
- Networx 'Working the (Real and Virtual) Room' event in the media - write up by Hannah Suarez
- Lisa Butler's 'Networking in the 'Real' Room' Presentation slides (PDF, 323 KB)
- Clare Lancaster's Twitter Tips for Networx 'Working the (Real and Virtual) Room' event (PDF, 725 KB)
- FollowWatch.com - Follows summaries of who you've gained or lost
- TweetBeep.com - If you love Twitter, you'll love TweetBeep. Keep track of conversations that mention you, your products, your company, anything, with hourly updates. You can even keep track of who's tweeting your website or blog, even if they use a shortened URL (like bit.ly or tinyurl.com)
- CoTweet.com - Platform that helps companies reach and engage customers using Twitter (multiple accounts and multiple users, monitor keywords and trends and more)
- TweetDeck.com - Personal browser for staying in touch with what's happening and connecting with contacts across Facebook, Twitter and more.
Links to Interesting Reading for 'Working the (Real & Virtual) Room'
- Networking Exposed book by Lisa Butler (Lisa Butler is speaking at event)
- Taking that step beyond just looking up event info on their site… Tips for Event Attendees by Hannah Suarez
- Twitter Guide, by Brisbane marketer Clare Lancaster (Clare is speaking at event)
- How not to use Twitter: HabitatUK as a case study (from www.socialmediatoday.com)
- The Ultimate Social Media Etiquette Handbook (from www.techipedia.com)
- Twitter Guide Book - How To, Tips and Instructions by Mashable (via @sitemost)
- The 6 Spheres of Social Media Marketing on Search Engine People (via @sitemost)
- 'Do You Have Bad Facebook Manners?' by Mashable (via @screamr)
- Everything Twitter Etiquette by Mashable: 'How to Build Your Community' and 'How Not to Build Your Community' (via @screamr)
- Facebook Pages vs Facebook Groups: What's the Difference? (from Mashable)
At this interactive event, you will:
- Make some new contacts (guaranteed!)
- Learn how to overcome the networking heeby jeebies
- Come away with Lisa’s top five tips for effective face to face networking
- Learn appropriate Facebook & Twitter etiquette
- Pick up some twitter jargon (eg. @'s and RT's)
- Learn how to humanise your profile, and not just be a 'bot'
- How to use FB & Twitter for business purposes and not put your followers off
We want YOU to tweet about the #Networx event!
Participants are welcome to bring along their personal devices and mobile phones to tweet during the session! Please use the hash-tag #Networx! Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/networxevents
Business Card Draw - Door Prizes
- 1 x $150 voucher to GW Private Room, hair salon in Festival Towers, Brisbane City (National Award Winner 2008 for Best Hair-Salon).
- 1 x Day Cruise for 2 people with Sand Tobboganing Tour, valued at over $150, courtesy of Tangalooma Island Resort
- 1 x $100 Fox Hotel Voucher, courtesy of The Fox Hotel
- 1 x 1 night's accommodation at any Central Brisbane Apartment/Hotel, courtesy of Central Apartments & Hotels
- 1 x Double Pass to Interactive Minds: 'Implementing Successful Online Advertising' event on 5 August